Philippines storm displaces

Children were seen taking to the flooded streets to play on Friday


The BBC’s Denise Hammick says the storm has unleashed devastating rains

Tropical storm Fung-Wong has brought flooding, heavy rains and high winds to the Philippines, forcing some 200,000 people from their homes.

Five people were also killed in the storm, two of them electrocuted while wading through flood waters, an emergency official said.

Manila and the northern provinces were worst hit, with residents being rescued from the roofs of flooded homes.

The storm is now heading north, and is expected to hit Taiwan on Sunday.

Some 50,000 troops have been placed on standby on the island for potential rescue and relief operations.

The flood waters began to subside in parts of the the Philippines on Saturday, allowing displaced residents to return home and begin clearing up.

Fung-Wong had struck the archipelago with winds of 95kph (59mph) and gusts of 120kph, gathering strength as it moved north. Three weeks’ worth of rain is reported to have fallen overnight in parts of the country.

Roofs were blown away, trees toppled and highways flooded across the island of Luzon, seat of the capital, Manila.

Local media reported a river burst its banks in an eastern part of Manila on Friday, prompting the evacuation of more than 20,000 people. Other residents, however, chose to stay put.

“We can’t just move to another place,” a resident of Marikina, a Manila suburb said. “Our house is here. We’ve spent money on it. It would be a waste if we left, so we will stay here.”

The storm also lashed Cebu City in central Philippines, leaving parts of it 2m (6ft) underwater.

Tropical storms frequently strike the Philippines: Fung-Wong is the second in two weeks.

Typhoon Kalmaegi last week left eight people and forced more than 350,000 from their homes.

Are you in Manila or Taiwan? Have you been affected by Fung-Wong? Are your travel plans at risk because of the storm? Share your experiences by emailing haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk and provide your contact details if you are happy to talk to us.

Or you can contact us using the form below.

Send your pictures and videos to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to 61124 (UK) or +44 7624 800 100 (International). If you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions

If you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist please leave a telephone number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures, video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions

Heineken is the world’s third largest beer producer by volume

Heineken is the world’s third largest beer producer by volume


Dutch brewing giant Heineken has rejected a takeover offer from London brewer SABMiller saying the proposal is “non-actionable”.

Heineken said it had “consulted with its majority shareholder” before rejecting the approach.

It said the Heineken family, the founding family which still owns half of the firm, wanted to preserve the firm as “an independent company”.

Heineken said it was confident it would continue to grow.

“The Heineken family and Heineken N.V.’s management are confident that the company will continue to deliver growth and shareholder value,” it added.

The founding Heineken family owns just over 50% of the brewer via Heineken Holding. A further 12% is owned by Mexico’s FEMSA.

Heineken’s statement was prompted by a Bloomberg story suggesting SABMiller had approached the Dutch firm to protect itself from a potential takeover.

There has been speculation within the brewing industry, for months, that SABMiller has been targeted by the world’s number one brewer Anheuser-Busch InBev.

Heineken is the world’s third largest beer producer behind AB Inbev and SABMiller, based on volume.

“Should AB Inbev choose to make a bid, which we think is likely, the chance of success has increased,” said Eddy Hargreaves, an analyst at Canaccord Genuity in London.

“SABMiller’s approach may cause some short term share price excitement, but we think Heineken’s decision is final,” he said.

SABMiller gained 5.3% to £35.855 per share in London, while Heineken rose 1.5%.

Apart from the namesake beer – Heineken, the company also produces Sol and Strongbow Apple ciders.

When contacted by the BBC, SABMiller declined to comment. The company is the second-largest beer maker in the world, selling about 21 billion litres of lager worldwide.

SABMiller’s beer brands include Miller Genuine Draft, Grolsch and Peroni Nastro Azzurro. The company also produces soft drinks, and it is one of the world’s largest bottlers of Coca-Cola drinks.

For the full financial year to March 2014, SABMiller earned $27bn (£17bn) in revenues.

SABMiller’s shares are traded on the London stock exchange. The company also has a secondary listing on the Johannesburg stock exchange.

Rosberg top after Hamilton issue

Nico Rosberg was fastest in second practice at the Italian Grand Prix as team-mate Lewis Hamilton took second despite reliability problems.

Hamilton sets pace in first practice

Italian GP practise: Inside F1 at Monza

Eddie Jordan War declared at Mercedes

Monza’s famous old autodrome just outside Milan is F1’s oldest venue, and a strong favourite with all participants for its unique demands, character and atmosphere.

However, it is unlikely to be as packed with the boisterous Italian Ferrari fans known as the tifosi as normal, with organisers reporting that ticket sales are down

This is the consequence of a difficult year for Ferrari, who are having their least competitive season for 20 years

The Williams cars are expected to be Mercedes’ closest challengers this weekend, underlined by Bottas’s pace despite the fact that Williams tend to run their cars heavier on fuel on Fridays as they focus on the race, and then become more competitive on Saturday and Sunday

On the race-simulation runs late in the session, when the teams run on heavy fuel to try out the car in the specification in which they will start the race, Williams appeared to be a match for Mercedes, with Red Bull and Ferrari closely matched a little behind them

And, just as in qualifying trim, Hamilton appeared at least a match for Rosberg, despite his truncated session

Argentina’s football president dies

Mr Grondona with President Fernandez de Kirchner 2009 after a government takeover of TV rights to soccer games


Julio Grondona, the Argentine Football Association (AFA) president, has died in Buenos Aires at the age of 82.

Mr Grondona had ruled the AFA for 32 years. Local media reported he had had a heart attack.

A powerful ally of Sepp Blatter, the president of the world football governing body Fifa, Mr Grondona was also a senior Fifa vice president.

During his leadership of AFA, Argentina won the World Cup in 1986 but lost in the final in 1990 and 2014.

In his time in office, Mr Grondona dealt with Argentine presidents of all political hues, including military rulers.

Influential on the national political scene, he held onto power when their governments had collapsed or changed hands.

Known in Argentina as “the Godfather” he had been accused of not doing enough to tackle the “Barra Bravas” – violent organised football hooligans – in Argentine football.

He had argued that the problem was a reflection of the growing violence on the streets of the country.

He was heavily criticised by retired Argentine football star Diego Maradona, who blamed Mr Grondona for the many problems of the national game.

Mr Grondona hired Maradona as the national coach and then dismissed him after Argentina lost in the quarter-final of the 2010 World Cup.

During the 2014 tournament, Maradona responded to being called a “bad luck charm” by Mr Grondona by making an obscene gesture on live TV.

When Fifa became engulfed in corruption allegations in 2011, Mr Grondona railed against the British press, which had published several investigations, calling them and the English “pirates”.

He had been on Fifa’s executive committee since 1988 and had chaired the influential finance committee.

Mr Grondona had said he expected to step down from the AFA in 2015 – but he had also often said the only way he would leave was in a coffin.

India serial killer to be executed

Koli was found guilty of kidnapping, murder and attempted rape in multiple cases


An Indian man sentenced to death for murdering a girl in a case dubbed “the house of horrors” will be executed next week, officials say.

In 2009, Surinder Koli and his businessman employer Moninder Singh Pandher were convicted of murdering 14-year-old Rimpa Haldar. Pandher was later freed by a higher court.

They were held in 2007 after body parts were found near their home near Delhi.

The crime shocked the country, with many accusing the police of negligence

Police say at least 19 young women and children were raped, killed and dismembered in a house where Koli worked as a servant for the owner in the suburb of Noida near Delhi.

The children, remains of whom were found hidden in bags, were allegedly lured to their deaths by Koli, who offered them sweets and chocolate. He confessed in court to cannibalism and necrophilia.

Koli has been found guilty of kidnapping, murder and attempted rape in at least five cases involving children.

Local residents said that police failed to act because many of those reported missing came from poor families.

A court said the crime called for the death sentence as it was the rarest of rare cases.

The hanging [of Surinder Koli] will be carried out on 12 September all the rules and procedures will be followed, SHM Rizvi, chief of the main prison in Meerut in Uttar Pradesh state, was quoted as telling reporters by the Press Trust of India news agency

Executions are rarely carried out, but in the last two years there have been two hangings in India.

Mohammed Ajmal Qasab, the sole surviving attacker from the 2008 Mumbai attacks, was executed in November 2012 in a prison in the western city of Pune.

And in February 2013, a Kashmiri man, Afzal Guru, was hanged in Delhi’s Tihar jail for the 2001 attack on India’s parliament.

Singer accuser drops legal action

Egan (right) had accused Singer (left) of abusing him in Hawaii


A man who claims he was sexually abused by Bryan Singer has dropped his legal action against the X-Men film-maker.

A judge in Honolulu granted Michael Egan III’s petition to have the case dismissed without prejudice, allowing him to refile at a later date.

Singer’s request to have the case dismissed with prejudice and to make Egan pay his legal costs was rejected.

“We’re pleased that it’s over,” said Singer’s lawyer Marty Singer, who is not related to the US director.

“Although we would have liked the case dismissed on merits, the fact that now it’s dropped… is satisfactory.”

Egan, a former child model who is now 31, has accused the 48-year-old director of abusing him in Hawaii when Egan was 17.

Egan previously filed three similar legal actions against other Hollywood figures, all of which were later dismissed.

US district judge Susan Oki Mollway ruled that “any alleged damage to [Singer’s] reputation may well be ameliorated by plaintiff’s voluntary dismissal of the action”.